Thursday, February 1, 2018

Paramhansa Yogananda


Mirabai composed many ecstatic songs, which are still treasured in India. I translate one of them here: 

If by bathing daily God could be realized Sooner would I be a whale in the deep; 

If by eating roots and fruits He could be known Gladly would I choose the form of a goat; 

If the counting of rosaries uncovered Him I would say my prayers on mammoth beads; 

If bowing before stone images unveiled Him A flinty mountain I would humbly worship; 

If by drinking milk the Lord could be imbibed Many calves and children would know Him; 

If abandoning one’s wife could summon God Would not thousands be eunuchs? 

Mirabai knows that to find the Divine One The only indispensable is Love. 

(Extract from Autobiography of Yogi)

No comments:

Post a Comment